Can I drive a Truck or Bus before I gain my licence?

Until you get your heavy vehicle licence you may drive a heavy vehicle only if you are accompanied by a person who holds a valid licence for the type of vehicle you are driving. You must display Driver Under Instruction plates at the front and rear of the vehicle. While learning to drive a heavy vehicle, your Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) must be .00.

Driver Under Instruction plates can be purchased from the Yugo Driving School office for $40 (plastic) or $60 (metal).


What are the medical requirements to gain a Bus or Truck licence?

Under the Road Safety Act 1986, VicRoads is responsible for ensuring that all licence holders are fit to drive. This law exists to keep you and the community safe on our roads—not to deny your right to hold a driver licence.  There are many medical conditions, or a combination of conditions, that can affect your ability to drive safely. Ask a doctor if your condition/s or medication/s could affect your driving.

Medical conditions that can affect driving ability include (but are not limited to):

– Hypertension;
– Diabetes;
– Sleep Apnoea;
– Vision Defects;
– Epilepsy;
– Hearing Defects;
– Psychiatric Disorders;
– Parkinson’s Disease;
– Multiple Sclerosis.

The use of prescription medication, alcohol and illicit drugs can also affect your ability to drive safely.

What to do if you have a medical condition?
The law states that you must report any medical condition that could affect your driving. If you have a medical condition, or if an existing condition deteriorates, you must:

– Contact VicRoads to report your condition.

– Talk to a doctor about how it might affect your driving.

– Send VicRoads a medical report from a doctor who knows your medical history.

VicRoads will then undertake a medical review.

If you are unsure whether your condition requires VicRoads Medical Clearance, please contact us for a confidential discussion on (03) 97940040.

How much notice must I give the office for Course Bookings?

Approximately 3-5 days notice is required to book courses.

What licence can I get with my Victorian car licence?

You can apply straight away for the Heavy Rigid licence if you have held your Victorian car licence for at least 24 months.

What is the difference between the Medium Rigid and Heavy Rigid licence?

The Medium Rigid covers you for any single rear axle vehicle, whereas the Heavy Rigid covers you for ‘dual (2 or more) rear axle vehicles.

What can I tow on a Rigid licence?

You can tow up to 9 tonnes GVM on any Rigid vehicle. Once you are towing more than 9 tonnes GVM on your trailer, you must obtain a Heavy Combination licence.